Pages

Football: Cristiano Ronaldo's Las Vegas rape accuser drops case, has filed another

Football: Cristiano Ronaldo's Las Vegas rape accuser drops case, has filed another

LAS VEGAS (BLOOMBERG) - A rape lawsuit against Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo in Nevada state court that made headlines last year has been quietly dropped, but his accuser is now pursuing her claims in federal court.
A notice of voluntary dismissal was filed last month in state court in Las Vegas. The filing didn’t say why the case was dropped.
The woman accusing of the Portuguese soccer player of sexual assault, Kathryn Mayorga, filed a separate lawsuit in federal court in January making the same allegations.
Mayorga switched to federal court because state law in Nevada restricted her ability to serve a summons to appear in court on Ronaldo, who lives in Europe, her lawyers said in a February filing.
Ronaldo has publicly denied the allegations and never filed a response to the state court case, which sent his club’s club’s shares down 15 per cent when it was filed in September.
In the federal suit, Mayorga has asked the judge to allow for “alternative service” of a summons for Ronaldo because she doesn’t know his address in Italy. The judge denied the request but allowed an extra 180 days to serve him.
The New York Times reported in March that Juventus, the Italian league champions, wouldn’t participate in the International Champions Cup in the US this summer to avoid the risk that Ronaldo would be detained by authorities as part of a rape investigation.

 
 
In the state court complaint, Mayorga alleged she was sexually assaulted by Ronaldo in 2009 in his penthouse suite at a Las Vegas hotel. Mayorga said in the complaint that while she agreed to a settlement with Ronaldo after the alleged assault, she was experiencing severe emotional trauma at the time and wasn’t competent to participate in the mediation.
Peter Christiansen, a lawyer for Ronaldo, didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment on the dismissal of the state court case. 
A representative for Mayorga’s lawyer, Leslie Stovall, didn’t respond to a request for comment on why a new case was filed in federal court.
A five-time winner of soccer’s most prestigious award, the Ballon d’Or, Ronaldo is also the sport’s most popular player on social media. His marketing potential supercharged Juventus, with the stock price doubling in the months after the Turin-based team signed him from Spain’s Real Madrid on July 10.
Juventus is controlled by Italy’s Agnelli family, the biggest investors in carmaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
Following the lawsuit last year, Las Vegas police reopened an investigation of the rape allegations. The New York Times reported in January that law enforcement officials had requested a sample of the soccer player’s DNA from Italian authorities.
A spokeswoman for the police department said its investigation is still ongoing.



LONDON: Brighton moved into the FA Cup quarter-finals for the second successive season as goals from Anthony Knockaert and Jurgen Locadia clinched a 2-1 win over Derby on Saturday. Chris Hughton's side have been sucked into relegation danger in the Premier League after six games without a win. But
Brighton edge into FA Cup quarter-finals | New Straits Times



LONDON: Mauricio Pochettino said on Tuesday that Hugo Lloris will remain in goal for Tottenham despite a series of costly errors this season. Lloris has endured fresh criticism after his fumble led to Toby Alderweireld's decisive own goal in the final minutes of Tottenham's 2-1 defeat at Liverpool on Sunday.
Pochettino gives backing to under-fire Lloris - World Soccer Talk
worldsoccertalk.com/2019/04/02/pochettino-gives-backing-to-under-fire-lloris/
Pochettino gives backing to under-fire Lloris AFP April 2, 2019 AFP No Comments London (AFP) - Mauricio Pochettino said on Tuesday that Hugo Lloris will remain in goal for Tottenham despite a series of costly errors this season.
Pochettino gives backing to under-fire Lloris | Sport24



"Di Francesco will remain the coach who took Roma to the Champions League semi-finals after who knows how many years and he deserves credit for that. I know this isn't our best season and the job of a coach will always be tied to results." Former Roma midfielder Di Francsco helped the team to their last Serie A title as a player in 2001.
Ranieri lined-up as Roma sack Di Francesco after Champions



Highlights from Chelsea's win over Watford in the Premier League. Chelsea secured Champions League football for next season following their 3-0 victory against Watford at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea move into third place with victory over wasteful


Football: Kean scores for Juventus despite racial abuse but



Chelsea suffered a setback in their push for a Champions League spot when they were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Burnley in the Premier League on Monday and tempers flared at the end of the match when Chelsea coach Maurizio Sarri was sent to the stands.
Chelsea held 2-2 by Burnley, denting Champions League hopes



What They Said: Moyes on top four, Gerrard eyes title glory Saikat 17 March, 2014 Blogroll , David Moyes , English Premier League , General Football News , Liverpool , Manchester United , Site News , Steven Gerrard
Can draw specialists Hearts halt Celtic's push for SPL glory?



Record 3.57 billion watch FIFA World Cup 2018, 1.12 billion tune in for France vs Croatia final The report further stated that the total viewership included 309.7 million people who followed matches through digital platforms. 231.82 million out of home and digital viewers tuned in for the final.
More than half the world watched record-breaking - fifa.com



DAKAR • Egypt striker Mohamed Salah was named the African Footballer of the Year for the second straight year at the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) awards ceremony in Dakar on Tuesday..
Egypt's Salah retains African Footballer of the Year Award



The Socceroos continue their AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019™ campaign with a pivotal clash against Palestine on Friday night (AEDT) in Dubai. After the opening game loss against Jordan, Graham Arnold's men will be desperate to bounce back with an improved showing against Palestinians. With one game now



Yuya Osako scored twice as Japan overcame a spirited Turkmenistan side 3-2 to claim three points in the AFC Asian Cup Group F opening match in Abu Dhabi. It was a brave performance by Turkmenistan
Opinion: Heavyweight Ryan Reaves-Adam McQuaid scrap a
allmysportsnews.com/nhl/opinion-heavyweight-ryan-reaves-adam-mcquaid-scrap-a-microcosm-of-nhl-fighting-debate/
Football: Osako double saves the day for Japan in 3-2 Asian Cup win over Turkmenistan »
Yuya Osako snatches shock victory for Japan in opposition to
tmssmagazine.com/yuya-osako-snatches-shock-victory-for-japan-in-opposition-to-10-man-colombia/
It is difficult to imagine a team making a more calamitous start to a game in this World Cup finals than Colombia did here and, unfortunately for José Pékerman and his players, there was another blow to come on top of being a goal and a man down inside a chaotic first six minutes.
Japan 1 - Ivory Coast 2 | Reuters.com



Boyle was a key for Socceroos : Arnold . Socceroos coach Graham Arnold has revealed he viewed injured winger Martin Boyle as a key part of his Asian Cup title defence. Three tactical questions for Graham Arnold ahead of Socceroos opener The Socceroos begin their Asian Cup defence against Jordan on Sunday night at 10pm.
Speed key for Socceroos to catch Chile on the hop, writes



Pep Guardiola paid tribute to his Manchester City players after they won the FA Cup with a scintillating display of attacking football. City scored six goals without reply against Watford in a rampant Wembley performance to crown the most magical of campaigns, which has seen Guardiola's side
Football: Guardiola salutes 'incredible' Man City, Football

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen