
NEW YORK (NYTIMES) - Organisers of a high-profile summer tournament for world soccer's biggest club teams have decided to keep Juventus and its star Cristiano Ronaldo away from the United States this year, eliminating the risk of the Portuguese star's being detained by authorities as part of a rape investigation in Las Vegas.
While the bulk of the games in the tournament, the International Champions Cup, will take place in the United States as usual, Juventus' games will be a part of the Asian version of the annual event.
Juventus will be joined there - most likely in China and Singapore - by Premier League teams Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United.
Ronaldo, a five-time world player of the year, is in his first season in Italy's top league after Juventus paid more than US$114 million (S$154 million) to acquire him from Real Madrid last July.
Only months after his transfer, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had reopened an investigation into accusations by an American woman, Kathryn Mayorga, who said Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009 and later paid her US$375,000 for her silence.
Ronaldo and his lawyers repeatedly denied the rape accusation when it emerged in September; Ronaldo labelled it "fake news" in a video posted on one of his social media accounts, and at one point his lawyers threatened to sue the German newsmagazine that was the first to publish Mayorga's accusations.
Juventus stood behind its star, too, expressing appreciation for his "great professionalism and dedication" and saying Mayorga's accusations "do not change this opinion."
Â
Â
Â
Juventus has a multiyear agreement to play in the International Champions Cup, which is organised by New York-based Relevent Sports.
Ronaldo's legal troubles played a role in shaping plans for Juventus' participation, according to people familiar with this summer's schedule, which will be released next week.
A spokesman for Juventus, which is on course to win an eighth straight Italian league championship, said "going east" to Asia was normal after spending recent preseasons in the United States.
While preseason tours are not seen as serious competition, they are vital for teams' preparations before the new season, and Juventus would have drawn unwanted scrutiny had it travelled to the US without Ronaldo, its star attraction.
The case against Ronaldo resurfaced after German magazine Der Spiegel said it had obtained confidential documents related to the case, and the purported payment by Ronaldo to settle it, from whistleblower platform Football Leaks.
Around the same time, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said it had reopened its investigation into the rape accusation, following up on information it said had been provided by the victim.
Ronaldo, now 33, was a star at England's Manchester United when he met Mayorga, now 35, at a Las Vegas nightclub in 2009, just before his record-breaking transfer to Real Madrid. He invited her and others to his suite in the early hours of June 13, 2009, she said, where she says he sexually assaulted her.
A number of the documents Mayorga's lawyers say support her claim were published by Der Spiegel, which also published a lengthy interview with Mayorga. Ronaldo's lawyers have questioned the authenticity of some of the documents published by Der Spiegel but have not denied that Ronaldo and Mayorga had a sexual encounter, which they contend was consensual.
According to her lawsuit, Mayorga reported being assaulted to police later that day and underwent a medical examination, during which evidence was collected in what is sometimes known as a rape kit.
Las Vegas police have acknowledged that Mayorga filed a report and was examined, but police said she did not name her attacker at the time.
The case was reopened at Mayorga's request in September.

Manchester City football flag (Reuters pic) MANCHESTER: Manchester City will play a pre-season match in Japan for the first time when they take on J League side Yokohama F. Marinos on July 27, the
Manchester City to play pre-season match in Japan against

Willian eager to stay at Chelsea despite exit rumours 01/12/2019 Tell your friends. Willian insisted he had no intention of leaving Chelsea after his superb goal sealed a 2-1 win at home to
Willian eager to stay at Chelsea despite exit rumours

Eden Hazard marks milestone with early goal to help Belgium win Michy Batshuayi got the other goal for the top team in the FIFA rankings, who began their campaign last Thursday with a 3-1 home
Hazard marks milestone with early goal to help Belgium win

Mar 03, 2019 · David Beckham called his former team LA Galaxy his "family" and thanked Los Angeles for embracing him at the unveiling of his statue before the Major League Soccer club's season-opener on Saturday.
La galaxy david beckham on eBay | Seriously, We have EVERYTHING
AD

Detroit Lions. Detroit Lions: Is this Michael Roberts' last chance in Motown? sidelionreport.com - Kellen Voss. The former Toledo Rocket is in his third year in the league, but with rookie TEs biting his heels, this may be Roberts' last chance with the Detroit …
Football: Kane starts for Tottenham in Champions League final

Home/Sports/ Singapore's Akbar is greatest coach in I-League, Singapore's Akbar is greatest coach in I-League, Soccer Information & High Tales. waka 2 days ago.
Football: Singaporean coach Akbar Nawas is I-League's best

Egyptian football star Mohamed "Mo" Salah has called for a change in the way women are treated in the Muslim world, in an interview with Time magazine published Wednesday. The 26-year-old Liverpool forward was named one of the US magazine's 100 most influential figures of the year, alongside
Mohamed Salah Calls For Gender Equality, Urges People to

Singaporean Akbar Nawas has been named the I-League's best coach after leading Chennai City to their first title earlier this month. The Indian team swept seven out of 10 categories at the I-League awards and trophy presentation ceremony at the Taj Corramandel in Chennai on Wednesday.
Singapore's Akbar is greatest coach in I-League, Soccer

Hurt Cheetahs eye Stags' scalp - straitstimes.com

LONDON—Investigators searching for a lost plane carrying Premier League soccer player Emiliano Sala said on Jan. 30 that
Plane cushions found in search for missing soccer player Sala

Football: Man City title hopes hit by shock defeat at Newcastle NEWCASTLE, England (REUTERS) - Manchester City's hopes of retaining their Premier League title suffered a potentially grievous blow as struggling Newcastle United earned a remarkable 2-1 comeback win over the champions at St James' Park on Tuesday.
Man City title hopes hit by shock defeat at Newcastle

Correct way to check, set and adjust your spark plug gap. NGK Spark Plugs USA. Correct way to check, set and adjust your spark plug gap. NGK Spark Plugs - Tech Video - Duration: 3:10
Find the right spark plug and gap for engine | Briggs & Stratton

Subscribe to our channel:
0 Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen